Welcome to the EMD page for Silver Cross EMS System EMDs. Here you will find Initial Education and Licensure information and EMD License Renewal information.
INITIAL EDUCATION AND LICENSURE:
IDPH and SCEMSS approves the use of PowerPhone and APCO online learning systems to educate EMDs. These online sites allow students to learn at their own pace while in their own dispatch centers.
The System also offers to its communication centers, a traditional classroom EMD course taught by Scott Pucel. System centers may contact Scott direct to arrange future classes.
Once an EMD applicant completes an online course the the below items must be sent to the SCEMSS Operations Coordinator for licensing:
1. A copy of their Certificate of Completion
2. A $30 check or money order licensing fee made payable to IDPH
3. A completed IDPH “EMS RENEWAL NOTICE” form printable from IDPH’s website
4. A completed EMD LICENSE APPLICATION form
The System submits these items to IDPH for licensure and typically within 30 days the EMD has their license.
PER THE IDPH EMS ACT (Section 3.70.a.b) A person my not represent himself/herself … as an Emergency Medical Dispatcher unless certified (licensed) by the Illinois Department of Public Health as an Emergency Medical Dispatcher. The Emergency Medical Dispatcher shall use the Illinois Department of Public Health-approved Emergency Medical Dispatcher priority reference system protocol selected for use by his/her agency and approved by the EMS Medical Director. Prearrival support instructions shall be provided in accordance with the EMDPRS established by the EMS Medical Director of the EMS System in which the EMD operates. The EMD shall provide prearrival instructions in compliance with protocols selected and approved by the System’s Medical Director and approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
An EMD is considered certified/licensed once their license is in hand.
EMD LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
EMDs in Illinois require a minimum 48 hours of CME every four years in order to recertify. IDPH leaves the breakdown of those hours up to the local EMS systems.
The required 48 CE hours must include current CPR and may include, but are not limited to the following options:
– EMD CE: 2.5 hours per completed Powerpoint and Quiz on Moodle (see link below)
– Old EMD CE: 2.0 hours per completed Powerpoint and Study Guide from list below
– Agency EMD Training (IDPH approved w/site codes listed) hr/hr per IDPH sitecode
– Emergency Preparedness training (signed CE sheet) hr/hr per IDPH sitecode
– NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800 classes: 3 hours each w/printed certificate
– Health Related College Courses: 1 college credit hour=8 CE hours w/transcrcript)
– EMS related Conferences or Seminars (copy of certificate) hr/hr per IDPH sitecode
– Online CE: APCO or Powerphone CE (certificate) hr/hr
– www.policelegalsciences.com (certificate) 1 hr each only
– Other IDPH Approved Locally Offered CE (Certificate) hr/hr per IDPH sitecode
– Auditing an EMD, EMT or Paramedic class (signed CE sheet) topics must be level appropriate.
– EMD’s who also hold licenses as Paramedics or EMT-B’s may use those CE hours toward their EMD license renewal.
– A current CPR card taught per AHA guidelines is required for EVERY level.
Click here to print a blank EMD CE LOG SHEET that you can use to log and track your CME hours. In order to assure that EMDs are on track for renewal, agency coordinators will review their EMD’s CE every two years to verify that at least 24 of the 48 required hours are completed (including optional flip-chart review and required CPR recerts). When recertification time arrives, your agency coordinator will ensure your CE log sheets along with any other certificates of completion, your current CPR card and your IDPH child support statement renewal notice form are submitted to the SCEMSS Operations Coordinator for processing.
Silver Cross EMS Moodle site: http://moodle.silvercrossems.com/
- Once you’ve clicked the above link and the log-in button on that site
- Click on the create new user button (lower right side of page)…
- Make your username first initial middle initial and last name.
- Example John C Doe would be jcdoe.
- Use an email that you plan to keep for a long time. (example gmail)
- Make your password something easy you will remember.
- Choose your primary Silver Cross EMD agency from the drop down
- Use your 9-digit State EMS license number in the license number field
- Once you are registered make sure you ENROLL in the EMD CE
System Powerpoint and study guide packets (click to view and print):
January 2016 packet: Active Shooter and MCI Powerpoint and Study Guide
March 2016 packet: 2015 AHA CPR Update and Zika Virus Powerpoint and Study Guide
May 2016 packet: Abdominal Complaints Powerpoint and Study Guide
September 2016 packet: Autism Powerpoint and Study Guide
November 2016 packet: ON MOODLE – see above link
January 2015 packet: Chemical Suicide Powerpoint and Study Guide
March 2015 packet: Stroke Powerpoint and Study Guide
May 2015 packet: In The News Powerpoint and Study Guide
September 2015 packet: Heroin and Narcan Powerpoint and Study Guide
November 2015 packet: Medical/Legal Powerpoint and Study Guide
January 2014 packet: Cold Weather Emergencies Powerpoint and Study Guide
March 2014 packet: Street Drugs and Overdose Powerpoint and Study Guide
May 2014 packet: Spring/Summer Emergencies Powerpoint and Study Guide
September 2014 packet: Pediatric Emergencies Powerpoint and Study Guide
November 2014 packet: Ebola Powerpoint and Study Guide