This page is designed to assist our EMS providers and their Agency Coordinators with provider LICENSURE and RENEWAL.
IDPH LICENSE LOOK UP:
IDPH has an online EMS license verification site that may be accessed by anyone to verify individual provider and ambulance EMS licenses’: IDPH online EMS license verification link
IDPH WEBSITE FOR RESOURCES:
The IDPH WEBSITE must be used to access IDPH information and forms for licensing and renewals. IDPH will not accept old forms so be sure you are using the most current forms from this site.
INITIAL LICENSURE VIA STATE EXAM:
If you took the Illinois State Licensing Exam through CTS/PSI remember you still have to pay for your State of Illinois EMS license before it will be mailed to you. Once you pass the exam, you will receive a letter from IDPH with a PIN # telling you to log into IDPH to pay your fee so your license will print: IDPH Fee Payment
The LICENSURE FEES are listed below and are based on the level of licensure you seek and whether it is an initial license fee, renewal fee, or duplicate license fee.
INITIAL LICENSURE VIA NATIONAL REGISTRY EXAM:
If you took the National Registry Exam and want an Illinois license, you must wait until you receive your NREMT card in the mail to apply for an IL license. Once you have your NREMT card and pass letter bring it to the EMS office where you took your class with the following…
1. NATIONAL REGISTRY TO ILLINOIS LICENSE APPLICATION form
2. IDPH Renewal Notice Blank Form
3. Copy of NREMT card and pass result letter
4. Copy of current CPR Card
5. Money order or cashiers check payable to IDPH for the amount listed below. The LICENSURE FEES listed above are based on the level of licensure you are applying for.
SCEMSS adopted the State’s minimum required hours for CE May 31, 2014. Not every System did. Required hours were reduced from 120 hours to the following:
– A miminum of 100 hours every 4 years for Paramedic and PHRN
– A minimum of 80 hours every 4 years for EMT-I (AEMT)
– A minimum of 60 hours every 4 years for EMT-B (EMT)
Important facts to remember when it comes to relicensure:
1. ALWAYS ensure your EMS System has your current mailing address and email.
2. ALWAYS keep copies of your CE for your own records. (As it is ultimately your responsibility.)
3. ALWAYS obtain details of classes, such as topics covered, IDPH site codes and signatures.
4. NEVER wait till the last minute. Check your CE and track your hours throughout the 4 years.
- IDPH mails out RENEWAL NOTICES with a PIN number 60-90 days prior to renewal. If you do NOT receive this notice, email your EMS System for a copy.
- Pay your license fee online at the IDPH WEBSITE to avoid delays caused by mailing in check payments
- When renewing online with IDPH you will be asked to enter OUR “System Number Code” of 0710.
If Silver Cross is NOT your primary System, find your primary EMS System’s “System Number Code” here: EVERY SYSTEM NUMBER 4-DIGIT CODE IN THE STATE. If asked for your TNS training hospital only fill this out if you’re a Trauma Nurse.
- Complete the Child Support and Felony conviction statements. Anyone convicted of a felony or delinquent on child support may not be able to complete their renewal online and may need to contact IDPH as directed.
Your IDPH license is a legal document and should match your legal name on your driver’s license. An individual can change their name with IDPH by emailing their EMS System a copy of their marriage license, divorce decree (front page and name change page only), or court order. The System files the appropriate paperwork with IDPH. It costs nothing to change your name unless you want a duplicate license mailed out. See next paragraph.
DUPLICATE LICENSE REQUEST:
A duplicate license request may be necessary if your license has been lost or stolen or for a name change. The $10 is only necessary if the individual needs a new copy of their license now. A duplicate license may be requested through this IDPH website link.
If an individual has an EMT/Paramedic license from NREMT or out of State, they may apply for reciprocity to obtain an Illinois license. IDPH handles all reciprocity applications directly. Reciprocity applications may be printed from this IDPH website link.
Forms and Policies relating to CE, Licensing and Renewal
EMT-B Relicensure Policy (200-5) – EMT-B Relicensure CE Recommendations
EMT-I Relicensure Policy (200-6) – EMT-I Relicensure CE Standards
Paramedic Relicensure Policy (200-7) – EMT-P Relicensure CE Standards
PHRN Policy (200-4) – PHRN Relicensure CE Standards
ECRN Policy (200-12) – ECRN Class Reg/System Entry Form – ECRN Relicensure CE Requirements
Lead Instructor Policy (200-17) (includes licensure info)
FRD Relicensure Policy (200-18) FRD Relicensure CE Requirements
EMD Policy (200-19) (includes relicensure info)
Methods of CE Submission Policy (200-8)
Acceptable CE and Validation Standards Policy (200-16)
Blank CME Form (Log Sheet) CE Sheet to log hours
Training Program Application Form (Site-Code request)
For other less commonly used IDPH forms visit the IDPH WEBSITE. Please review the System policy before applying as these requests have strict guidelines.
IDPH Extension Request Application – Used for a one-time 6 month license extension
IDPH Inactive Request – Used to place license on temporary Inactive status within same license period
IDPH Reactivation Request – Only used if license has expired 3-36 months & seeking to reactivate
For more information regarding licensure or renewal in the Silver Cross EMS System, please contact the SCEMSS Operations Coordinator for assistance.
For more information as an Independent contact IDPH at 217-785-2080 to obtain your IDPH Regional Coordinator’s contact information.