This page is designed to assist our EMS providers and their Agency Coordinators with entry into the Silver Cross EMS System.
All EMS Providers (EMT, Paramedic, Intermediate, PHRN) who are operating on Silver Cross EMSS vehicles must be members of the Silver Cross EMS System. Providers are not allowed to function in any EMS capacity in this System without approval from the System office. Once the System entrance process is complete a provider will receive a 4-digit System Number as authorization to work in SCEMSS.
Please note that an EMS provider must possess a current and valid State of Illinois EMT-B/I/P/PHRN License in order to function in the State of Illinois. National Registry certifications alone are not sufficient. For information on the reciprocity process of turning your NR cert into an Illinois license, visit our LICENSURE page.
SYSTEM ENTRY PROCESS:
Providers who wish to join the Silver Cross EMS System should contact the department or agency EMS Coordinator of the Silver Cross EMS agency/FD they are becoming employed by. That department EMS Coordinator will then file the appropriate System entry paperwork with the System office.
- All checklist attachments must be legible and readable.
- Checklist forms must be signed by both the Agency Coordinator and the entry applicant.
- Checklist w/attachments 1-3 must be into the Operations Coordinator at least 5 days prior to entry test.
- The Agency Coordinator must ensure all ALS applicants are pre-registered for a “System Entry Date”.
- Good Standing letters must be requested prior to ALS System Entry Date.
SYSTEM ENTRY TESTING:
Any EMS provider joining this System must successfully complete the Region 7 SMO test for their level of licensure. Please use the study guide and Powerpoint on the Region SMOs Page to prepare for the SMO test.
BLS providers are required to complete only the BLS SMO test for entry into SCEMSS.
ALS providers are required to complete the ALS SMO test as well as Medical Math, Rhythms, and Megacode testing for entry into SCEMSS. All ALS System Entry testing is held in the EMS Operations office located in the ER unless otherwise stated at time of sign-up. Please view the MAP/DIRECTIONS page. System entry dates are the first and third Tuesday of every month at 1:30pm unless otherwise noted at time of sign-up. An applicant may only attend if they have called or emailed the Operations Coordinator to reserve their spot and ensured all required paperwork was received by the System office at least 5 days prior to testing.
ILS providers are required to complete the ILS SMO test as well as portions of the Medical Math, Rhythms, and Megacode testing for entry into SCEMSS.
SYSTEM ENTRY POLICIES, PAPERWORK, AND STUDY MATERIALS
These forms are for Agency EMS Coordinator use ONLY:
ALS Entry Applicants may use the below study materials to prepare for testing:
Medical Math Study Guide
Rhythm Strip Identification Study Guide
Megacode Study Guide per current American Heart guidelines
Other equipment and procedures to look over
Providers who wish to CHANGE their primary EMS SYSTEM status must do so by emailing the Operations Coordinator email@example.com. Your agency EMS Coordinator CANNOT make this change for you.
- This letter must come directly from you, the EMS provider, include a return phone number in case of questions, and state the System names of the Systems you are changing to primary, and to secondary.
- If switching into another System as primary you must state if you plan to stay with Silver Cross and if so with which one of our agencies/departments.
- If switching Silver Cross EMS System to your primary then you MUST also include copies of your CE from your previous System. Keep copies of all CE for your own records as well.