Silver Cross Hospital/Silver Cross EMS System is an American Heart Association (AHA) Training Center (TC)
Effective February 22, 2021, Julie O’Rourke is our new American Heart Training Center (AHA TC) Coordinator. JORourke@silvercross.org 815-300-7589.
Please note that American Heart assigns a new “Z-code” for ordering supplies every time there is a Training Center Coordinator change. If you are with Silver Cross you will need to confirm your affiliation with us in order to receive the new code.
Every instructor affiliated with the Silver Cross Hospital Training Center must complete and submit a new AHA Instructor Demographic Form by April 1, 2021 or risk being removed from the Silver Cross Training Center.
If you need a replacement CPR, ACLS, or PALS card because yours was not received, lost or stolen,
you must call the place where you took the class to obtain the instructor’s information.
The instructor of the course is responsible for issuing cards, but may charge a replacement CARD fee.
If you are already an AHA Instructor and would like to affiliate with the Silver Cross Training Center, please complete and submit these forms and fee to Julie O’Rourke, TC Coordinator for authorization and acceptance. If your application is not accepted, your fee will be returned with your paperwork.
–AHA Instructor Demographic Form
–AHA Affiliation Form
–AHA Instructor Records Transfer Request Form (this form is only required if you are transferring into the Silver Cross TC from a different training center).
–Mail these forms with the $30 affiliation fee payable to Silver Cross Hospital-EMS to Silver Cross EMS, Attn: Julie O’Rourke 1900 Silver Cross Blvd New Lenox IL 60451.
-Click the AHA Instructor Network link below and log into your already created account that you would have set up in order to get your original instructor ID and where you should be visiting to print your AHA course paperwork. Here you will need to align yourself with the Silver Cross TC. NEVER CREATE A DUPLICATE AHA INSTRUCTOR ACCOUNT as this creates a new Instructor ID, and you are only allowed 1 instructor ID with AHA.
Click here for the AHA Instructor Network link.
AHA CUSTOMER SERVICE and eCards TOOLS:
The AHA’s eCards tool is available for ALL INSTRUCTORS. They have redesigned the tool and added ways to make the process a more functional as well as efficient way to manage your eCards. Be sure to use these resources as well as the AHA Instructor Network by calling 1-877-242-4277.
An AHA eCard is the electronic equivalent of a printed course completion card and are now the standard for AHA. eCards are valid course completion cards and can be presented to employers as proof of successful completion of an AHA course. Like printed cards, eCards also expire two years from the issue date.
AHA eCards are more secure than printed cards. A three-point verification by the TCC, Instructor and student, is required to issue and claim eCards. eCard information is populated electronically by the TCC or Instructor and can only be altered by the TCC or AHA Customer Service by using AHA’s My Cards™. ECards can be easily verified by employers at www.heart.org/cpr/mycards to prove issuance by a valid TC and Instructor aligned with that TC. An AHA eCard can be printed by the student or Instructor, if necessary. TCCs and TC Admins may view a student’s eCard through the edit eCard link in My Cards.
Instructors, students, and employers may view a student’s eCard using the eCards validation tool at www.heart.org/cpr/mycards.
Before beginning any Instructor Course please contact one of the resource Instructors that teach that course to find out what you need prior to coming to class.
New Instructor Registration and Alignment on the AHA Instructor Network:
Here are instructions for New Instructor candidates that might be helpful. New Instructors should register and align on the Instructor Network before doing the Instructor Essentials Course, which is found on www.shopcpr.heart.org and is the same login as your AHA Instructor network.
The Instructor Essentials course is found at www.shopcpr.heart.org where you will create an account to pay for your course with credit card or a registration key if you were given one. If you need assistance with your online aha account please contact Customer Support found under Contact Us on the home page:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 1-888-242-8883 (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday – Friday).
Aligning with a Training Center TC generates the instructor ID Number, if an instructor has a login and is showing as an “Inactive” user, it’s because he/she has not aligned with a TC (see instructions to align). If no account, see “New Instructor Instructions” below to register and align.
You must align and be approved by the Training Center Coordinator to view the Instructor content on this site.
New Instructor Instructions: Register on the AHA Instructor Network and then align with your Training Center: Silver Cross IL01864
- Go to ahainstructornetwork.org
- Click Register on right side and follow steps below:
- Create a username and password. If username taken – change it. Write down your username and password which are case sensitive.
- Make a security question and answer that will be used for log in help in future.
- Put the name you want to use, first and last are required
- Put in your preferred e-mail address. If it says your email is already being used, stop and ask for log in help from ahainstructornetwork.org and if no help then call or e-mail us before continuing as you probably already have an account.
- Scroll down the page Check User Agreement and then Continue to Step 2 (aligning with your TC Training Center)
- Now you will be taken to the “Edit Affiliations” page to align with your Training Center.
- To the right of your discipline listed click the “Look Up” link. If you have more than one discipline, start with the first one from the top. BLS includes Heartsaver so only select Heartsaver if that is your only discipline.
- You must select your state, at minimum, then use Training Center ID IL01864 .
- Once you have located your training center in the list, click Select under the Coordinators name Julie O’Rourke.
- You will see the name of the Training Center in the box.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Submit Update”.
- Note: A request for approval will be sent to the Training Center Coordinator and you do not need to take any further action at this point.
To align with your Training Center if you have a login:
- Go to ahainstructornetwork.org
- Log into your instructor account (if you do not know your login information below)
- Click “Edit my profile” under your name on the right hand side of the page
- Click the “Alignment” tab
- To the right of each discipline listed (and whichever is applicable to your current instructor status), click the “Look Up” link
- You must select your state, to search for the Training Center
- Once you have located your Training Center in the list, click Select under your Coordinator’s name Julie O’Rourke.
- If you are an instructor for more than one discipline, you can select the “Same as Above” box for any additional disciplines you teach to copy the same Training Center. If you are with a different Training Center you must follow steps 5-7 for each discipline
- Click “Submit Update” at the bottom of the page once you have made all your selections
Note: A request for approval will be sent to your Training Center Coordinator and you do not need to take any further action at this point.
Once you are “Approved” on the Instructor Network www.ahainstructornetwork.org, you will see the following heading links:
DASHBOARD COURSES NEWS ADDITIONAL TOOLS SUPPORT
My Inbox Edit My Profile My Courses:
Check lists and other forms, the main courses; BLS, Heartsaver, ACLS, PALS, and PEARS are listed under the Courses link and all other courses are under Additional Courses and Programs to the right. You will also see classroom and online course materials.
For Classroom Courses: Forms such as rosters and student evaluations see instructions below. Review all links under the course for complete course details for instructors.
- Go to ahainstructornetwork.org
- Log into your account via the Existing User Sign In
- Once you are logged into your account click the Courses link then Heartsaver, BLS, ACLS, PALS etc. at the top of the page or click the specific course name down the page.
- You may have to click on course name again to open the page with Course Content in gray below the name of the course.
- Scroll down and click Course Resources to access forms and other resources listed
- You will then click the forms you need, which will open or a link will appear at the bottom of the page to click
For Online Courses: Skills check off sheet and other resources see below. Review all links under the course for complete course details for instructors.
The skills check-off sheets, rosters and evaluations are found on the Instructor Network under Courses, then under the specific discipline such as BLS, Heartsaver, etc.; then Part 1 on the appropriate course name. The student doing Part 1 online does the course test there and the instructor gives the skills check off only. For example: BLS is found under Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (HCP) Online Part 1 or HeartCode BLS Part 1 depending on the certificate you are given from the student having done the course online.
If you have any technical questions or need further assistance related to the Instructor Network please contact the Training Network Technology (TNT) Specialists by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-877-242-4277 choose option 4. They are available Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST
Instructors that Teach Instructor courses:
Melissa Micklos Cell: 815-549-6244
FEEDBACK DEVICES REQUIRED AS OF JANUARY 2019:
As of January 31, 2019, American Heart Association requires the use of an instrumented directive feedback device or manikin in all AHA courses that teach the skills of adult CPR. Specifically, an instrumented directive feedback device or manikin is one that, at minimum, provides audio or visual (or both) feedback on the rate and depth of compressions during adult CPR training. This requirement impacts BLS, ACLS, as well as ACLS for Experienced Providers and Heartsaver courses.